The Jewelry Buzz

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Money Challenge

Today I decided to "step away" from certain brand names that I have been devoted to for a couple of years. Pampers being one of them. I know! I have tried all kinds of less expensive diapers and really none compare. However, between the sate of our economy and our wallets, I figure it is time. So, off on a mission I went. Off to pick up a few necessary groceries for less than $19 and some change - including diapers.


While I was out, my gas tank was on empty. So I stopped to get gas and prayed that God would provide everything I needed for what was in my wallet. I was only using cash today. As I was standing in line to pay for my $5 of gas (some of it in quarters), there was a man in front of me buying all kinds of lottery tickets. Every kind you can think of. The line behind me was growing by the second and this man just kept saying, "and why don't you give me one of .... too." I was thinking, "really? I am paying for my gas in quarters and you are spending more than my day's allowance on lottery tickets? What is wrong with this picture?" Then I found myself praying for him. Maybe he had a gambling problem. Or maybe he felt more desperate than I did. Maybe he didn't have the Lord like I do. WOW! As I finally paid for my gas and headed back to my car, I held my head high, thanking God that I have Him in my life to trust and rely on. Thanking Him for the cash to get gas and whatever else I needed today. Trusting that He will indeed provide for all of my needs.

After getting the gas, I went to the dollar store for diapers. They had a coupon in this week's flyer for a brand I had not hear of and I figured it was worth a shot. Worst case is that I have to do more laundry than normal this week. PLUS, with the dollar coupon it was only $5.50!!! What a steal! Then I picked up some toilet paper and checked for milk, but they were out. I checked out and paid $8.48. Then off I went to the grocery to get milk and coffee creamer. I know the coffee creamer is a luxury, but my husband doesn't ask for anything and he is so easy-going. This I will make sure stays in the house :-)

Got to the grocery store and made a change in decision regarding milk. I have always purchased organic for my girls since the first time Abigail went to milk. However, I just can't pay for it right now. So, knowing Amanda is only on whole milk for another month or so, I went half way with the grocery store's all natural milk (no hormones) and will just have both girls on the same thing. Then I picked up the creamer and went to check out. Total = $6.09. Score!!

Then I went back home, enough gas for errands this week (I think), milk, diapers, creamer and toilet paper. All for a total of $19.57. I went out not knowing that I needed gas and God provided even that! I still can't get over that total including diapers. I usually pay $40 a box every couple of weeks! And toilet paper? Yes, I changed brands on that too. Can't believe how much I have been spending on that too!

Now I think I might start to potty train Amanda a bit early. She's ready, and I am tired of paying for diapers :-) But above all, I am so very thankful and humbled that I serve a God who is so compassionate, loving, caring and provides each step of the way. I just have to remember to give it to Him and trust. He will not disappoint! He is so faithful, gracious and merciful.


1 comments:

Larissa said...

Great post. It's important to be concerned about money. We are super frugal - although, I will admit to not using coupons very much. I figure that I would actually spend more than usual by using coupons, since most coupons are for processed foods that we don't eat.
Diaper coupons are great, though!! WOOHOO! I have actually cloth diapers for all but my first son. Big money saver there - but an investment up front. I learned to sew, so that I could make my own and not spend as much. I then sold 2 out of every 6 that I made - to cover the costs of making them - and wala - I diapered my kiddos for free (minus the washing expenses)

Be concerned about money now - so you don't have to be later! WTG!!!