The Jewelry Buzz

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Only God!

So I was riding the trolley tonight with the girls, something I do every night. We always ride the trolley, play the piano, see the boats if the gate is open and then ride the trolley back. Most times we are the only ones riding. tonight was not the case. There was a man from San Diego who was in town with his wife and mother. Here is the amazing story he told me about on the ride to the hotel:


His mother recently found out that she was not an only child - she has 2 sisters! She was "swept away from" her mother at 6 months of age and had no idea she had any siblings. He decided that since she is now 77, he should go ahead and check to see if he could find anyone. He had a name to go on for a parent, so he began to research. He found an obituary for his mom's father and read through living relatives. He then found an obituary for her mother, also reading names of living relatives. He ended up finding a cousin in Tennessee, talked with them and then got a name to go on for a sister and information they thought this sister was somewhere in south Florida.

He began to look up names in the south Florida area and found one that seemed promising. He called. When she answered he said, "Is this Judy?" When the answer was yes, he proceeded with, "I know this is kind of strange, but I think you are my aunt." You can imagine the seemingly hesitant voice on the other end of the phone. He continued talking, things were adding up and clicking and then he threw out the name Maryann. BINGO!!!! She knew immediately he was right! And there was another sister too! They knew that somewhere they had a sister named Maryann, but that is all they knew. They continued to talk and planned a trip to south Florida to meet everyone. All of the cousins were contacted and they had a reunion! Or rather a "union" as he called it. Can you imagine being 77 years old and discovering that you are not an only child? That you have siblings and cousins and that you can get together to meet them? Only God can bring these kinds of stories full circle! I have no idea where any of them stand spiritually, but what an awesome story! AND they are taking a cruise back to San Diego so that they can "let everyone else do the thinking." What a great way to end a most unbelievable and heart warming trip! Needless to say they WILL be coming back - I think he said December! What a wonderful Thanksgiving this will be!!!! How thankful to discover family.

I have ridden the trolley I don't know how many times and I love it because my girls get so excited. However, I think this may be my most favorite trip on the trolley. To be able to hear a story like this in such a short period of time and share in his excitement... People always walk up to Mark and tell their life stories (that's another blog), but I don't get those that often. This is a story I will remember forever.... and a face with the story that I will remember for a very long time. How awesome out God is to bring people, families, together like this. I don't believe it is chance that caused all of this to happen. I believe there is purpose and God led this man to each and every source and person (whether he realized it or not). i will be praying for and rejoicing with this family.

0 comments: