The Jewelry Buzz

Friday, August 27, 2010

Kids and Meals

I have had the hardest time getting my sweet girls to actually sit through a meal at the table. They are all over the place! It is becoming a battle we dread every night. And we really love dinner time because we are finally all together and can talk about our day. Here are some things we have tried:

1) Sit or time-out. This doesn't work :-)
2) Sit or no dessert. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Especially since they are smart enough to know that we don't always have dessert (actually don't most nights).
3) Separate their chairs - also to minimize the fighting. This worked for about a night or two.
4) Removal of plate with the assumption that they are finished since they are not at their seat. This has probably been the most effective for bringing them back to the table, but I want to keep them from actually leaving.

One things that someone suggested that I have not yet tried - a reward for staying in their seat the whole time (sticker, dessert, etc.). I think this is what I will try next.

Now I am fairly certain that this goes along with the age of the girls (2 and almost 4), but I am also fairly certain that there is a way to actually keep them at the table. I just haven't figured it out yet. Neither one of them can sit still for more than about 5, MAYBE 10, seconds, so I am on a mission to figure out how to calm them enough to be able to have some sort of attention span. Otherwise school will be near impossible.

Calling all moms! What has worked for you?

0 comments: