The Jewelry Buzz

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Yummy Lunch!

Okay, so today I was starving and didn't know what to fix for lunch. I really wanted pizza, but I am out of one flour I need to make the dough (have to make it gluten-free) and let's face it.... it would just take too long to make the dough, bake the crust, put together the pizza and finish baking it. So I went scrounging around. SCORE! Here is what I found:

The end of my gluten-free loaf of bread (enough for a couple of slices)
Left-over spinach pesto from the pasta I made last night (thick enough to spread - YUM!)
Some cheese that had already been grated

So I decide to make a pizza-like lunch! I smeared some of the yummy spinach pesto over the lightly toasted slices of bread and topped with cheese. Put it back in the toaster over for about 7 minutes on 375 and then on broil for about a minute (or less) just to make the top brown. Oh my gravy. SOOO YUMMY!!!! I will be doing this again. A LOT!

Here is my spinach pesto "recipe" - (in quotes because I don't ever have measurements):

1 package frozen spinach, thawed
2 cloves (more or less) minced garlic - more if you like the garlic flavor
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (maybe 1/3- 1/2 cup?)
A couple of tablespoons dried basil
Olive Oil (to consistency and taste) - at least 1/3 cup
Lemon juice (Oh, I don't know - maybe a tablespoon or so?)

And I do everything "to taste". Take a taste and if it needs something, smell some other ingredients while you have the flavor in your mouth. You will be able to "taste" all of them together through the smelling and will know if that is what you want or not. You could also put in pinenuts, almonds, walnuts..... Experiment and make it yours! You will love the outcome when you land a dish that is yummy and all your own.

Enjoy!

0 comments: