The Jewelry Buzz

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What a Night!

Now most times, that would be in reference to a great night! However, our night was not so great. Sweet Abi. She is trying to work her way out of daytime naps. the problem is that she just needs more sleep than that. She is a child who desperately needs a nap during the day. But what can you do? You can't make a child sleep. Even if she goes into her room for nap time, she never sleeps. just plays until Amanda wakes up. On the days Abi actually falls asleep, she will sleep for 2 1/2 to 3 hours! She wears herself out until there is no other option than to pass out. Well, tonight was a night where she just completely collapsed. WOW! We actually wondered where Abi went tonight! Surely this couldn't be our sweet girl.


Well, she was fine through dinner. Then bath time came. Now you know how bath time usually goes if you read the last blog. Tonight was no exception. Although it seemed to be worse. Mark helped out and did the whole bath tonight (he actually does bath time a lot - he's a HUGE help) because I am exhausted from not sleeping well last night and am also feeling like I am coming down with something. Now that I say that, maybe Abi is too! Something for me to now keep in mind. Anyway, 6 o'clock came and she was a mess. Couldn't stop crying, screaming, yelling, talking back.... I am sure you now know where this is going if you read my blog from yesterday. I gave her warnings about talking back and yelling, being disrespectful and then the moment of truth came. Out came the bar of soap. She screamed, "You can't do that because it is so yucky!" I barely got the tip of her tongue and rubbed a tiny bit. I wanted it to be principle, not torture. I wasn't out to coat the entire tongue. Just a taste on the tip. Well what I thought couldn't get worse got worse....

Things started flying all over the bathroom. The toothpaste got thrown across the room, her toothbrush followed suit, I turned on the water and gave her a cup to rinse her mouth out and the cup went flying. I was actually very cal through this part. I quietly explained that I was trying to help her rinse her mouth out. I then put some water in the cup and handed it back to her. The cup of water went across the bathroom! Oh no she didn't!! That is when I lost it. I yelled. I totally lost my cool. Not my proudest moment, and a few moments I will never get back. I hate when I do this! What does yelling solve? Absolutely nothing. GRRRRRR. I am so mad at myself! Then I handed Abi a towel and told her she had to clean up her mess. Then the towel went flying! I handed it back to her and told her to clean her mess and not only did she throw the towel again, she put her hands in the water and "threw" it! She made an even bigger mess. Enter daddy - the calm one who takes her out of the room to calm her down. I also leave so that I can calm down. I think my blood pressure was through the roof. I went and read to Amanda.

When we finished reading a couple of books, we came back out to the family room to see if Abi was ready for bed. Now, mind you, it was 6:34 p.m. when I came out to get her for bed. She was just starting to calm down and when she saw me she lost it all over again. Although it was because she wanted some snuggle time with me. We snuggled (while jealous Amanda also started crying) and talked about what happened, that we were going to brush teeth and then go to bed. Mark this time took Amanda outside to calm her down while I talked to Abi. I am telling you, I don't know what I would do without Mark. He is such a HUGE help and blessing. Mark then finished getting Amanda ready for bed while I helped Abi who started crying and screaming all over again. I put her in bed and traded with Mark. Then I calmed Amanda down while Mark calmed Abi down. Finally, by 6:55 both girls were in bed. So an hour of full our screaming drama.

I so pray that Abi grows out of this no sleeping phase. I have no idea what time she will be awake in the morning, but it is usually early. And she went to bed 45 minutes to an hour early. Only time will tell and we will handle that tomorrow. I just don't know how to help her. It is so hard to see your child going through something and feel so helpless. I know she doesn't mean to be disrespectful. She is seriously the sweetest girl EVER! And let's face it - we all have these times. I had one tonight too! It is all part of learning, and I am reminded tonight that we never stop learning and working to correct our weaknesses. My goal now is to learn to keep my own self control so that I can show my girls a better, more effective way of handling things in life. I need to be able to take the same deep breath that I ask them to do. I need to step out of the way to breathe before I lose it. It is so much example. Sometimes I watch my girls and how they handle something and I think, "Wow! That was really great! I want to be like that." And other time I see it and think, "WOW!! I need to pull myself together and do a better job of reacting/responding." It is all a learning process. i am constantly amazed at how much our children reveal in us. How our faults are brought to surface for all to see. And how God allows us to see them and gives us the opportunity to fine tune and correct. to become a better example of Him. What an honor. And so humbling.

1 comments:

Larissa said...

There is no doubt that we need to be able to teach our children how to have self control. There is no doubt that children learn by imitating. But I have found that the times that I lose it are opportunities of greater teaching than any other. Children also need to learn that their parents are imperfect human beings that are under the mercy and grace of a loving Father. They need to experience you repenting, so that they can learn to repent. It's important for children to see that process, so that their hearts will be bent toward repenting to their Father, so that they will learn to ask for forgiveness from those they hurt.
So, don't beat yourself up too much when you lose it - the children actually do need to see that too! They especially need to experience you telling them that you lost self control, shouldn't have done that, and need to ask forgiveness for acting that way.
It's all part of the learning process!