The Jewelry Buzz

Monday, April 12, 2010

What Was She Thinking?

The other night, we were going through our regular bath time/bedtime routine. The girls were in the tub washed and ready playing. Actually playing together! NICELY! That is a very RARE occasion these days. They love each other and, most of the time, play really well together.... during the day. Then they get to the tub. It is like there is something in the water!!! Really? As soon as their toes touch the water they are fighting, yelling, pinching, hitting, biting..... Really?? I am thinking about giving them separate baths! I digress.... back to the other night.

The other night they were actually playing nicely in the tub! I was in the other room getting pj's and putting a couple of cups in the dishwasher and all of a sudden I hear Abi sounding like she is gagging.... almost throwing up...

I run in panicked and ask, "Are you okay? Abi, talk to me! Are you okay??!?!?"
She starts crying, "It is so yucky! I can't get it out! Wash it!!!"
Me: "Wash what? What happened??!?"
Abi: "Mommy!!!! Help me!!"
Me: "Help with what? What happened??!?"
Now Amanda is watching our conversation like an intense tennis match. Not saying a word. Taking it all in, although SHE knew exactly what happened. Not helping her sister out at all.

Then I look at what Abi is holding in her far hand:
No folks, this is NOT a dental mold. Abi took a bite out of a bar of soap!! I quickly asked, "Where is the other piece?!" 1 - because I wondered if she had actually eaten it (I mean she was crazy enough to take the bite) and 2 - I didn't want Amanda to eat it. this is what Abi pulled out of the water:


So the obvious question comes spewing out of my mouth without a thought, "What were you doing?!? What were you thinking?!?" And yes, I know I probably could have been a little more calm and sympathetic, but I am still trying to recover from thinking she is choking, sick or something is REALLY wrong!

Abi's answer, while still whimpering: "Well, I was pretending it was candy and pretending to take a bite."
Me: "Pretending to take a bite? Normally pretending doesn't actually involve taking the bite." I am still shocked and now I am wondering how she could have gone through the whole thing before figuring out how gross it really was.
Abi: "It was an accident."
Me, trying not to laugh: "I know, honey. Are you okay? "
Abi: "Yes, but I want to get out. And I can't get it out of my mouth. It is so yucky!" She ends crying again.
Me, sympathy kicking in full speed ahead now: "Okay. Let me wipe your tongue off with a cloth and we'll get out and get dressed." And that is what we did.

Now that everyone is okay, happy and recovered, a parenting moment. See, we have had a horrible time with Abi talking back, being very disrespectful in speech toward others, mostly mommy and daddy... you see where this is going. Here is what I talked to Abi about after we had all recovered and I was brushing her golden locks:
Me: "Abi, I am so glad that you are okay. How did that soap taste?"
Abi: "Mommy, I didn't like it AT ALL."
Me: "I am so sorry that happened. But you remember the taste?"
Abi: "Yes."
Me, very calmly: "Well, I don't want you to forget that taste and here's why. If you continue talking back to mommy and daddy and speaking disrespectfully toward mommy and daddy, I am going to wash your tongue with that bar of soap."
Abi: "Mommy, you can't do that."
Me: "Why not?"
Abi: "Because it is too yucky!"
Me: "Well, maybe you will think before you speak and take a breath first in order to be respectful."
Abi: "Okay, Mommy."

A breakthrough moment! She has been SOOO much better! And as soon as she says something she shouldn't, she looks at me and says, "Oops. I'm sorry I said that mommy" or "I mean ......." So, purpose in everything. A silver lining with the bite of soap. Still can't believe it, but I am now thankful :-)

4 comments:

Larissa said...

Gotta love parenting moments like that!
I am so glad to hear that you've had a breakthrough.
(be prepared, though. . . you very well may have to break that bar of soap out and carry through. . . I hope you don't!)
Great post!

Anonymous said...

omg - my mom totally washed my mouth out with soap and it was the nastiest moment ever! Maybe that's why I'm scarred and can't eat ginger with sushi? ;)love, AR

Carrie said...

Larissa - I just had the follow through tonight. I let the talking back go for a little knowing she was just plain exhausted, but enough is enough. She had been warned and reminded, so ultimately she made the choice. That will be my blog tonight....

Carrie said...

AR - I don't get the ginger with sushi connection with getting your mouth washed out?