The Jewelry Buzz

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New Day

I have been completely glued to Facebook, internet and the news the past few days due to the flooding in the Nashville area. For those who don't know me, this is "home" to me. My stomach has been sick, my mind running a mile a minute and my prayers unending. I just cannot believe the devastation that has hit the area. And I have so many friends who have been affected by the floods, some losing just about everything. And no flood insurance. For about a week (before the floods) I have had a song stuck in my head.... "it's a new day, it's a new day, it's a new day......" This really is a "new day".

After the flood waters went down (in some areas) my friends went into their homes to assess the damage and then immediately started ripping out floors, drywall, pulling out trash, sifting through belongings to see what could be salvaged and what was now gone..... starting over. Taking only a moment to remember what was, and now ripping out the damage and moving forward. Making it a new day. New beginnings. Ripping out old memories and preparing the way for new ones. I can't help but to sit and think about the emotional disasters we go through in life and how hard it is to just rip up the damage foundations, throw them out and start new. Sounds so simple, but is so very hard. The physical act of cleaning out and fixing up a home seems so much easier sometimes. Although still filled with emotions that are so hard to move past. If only we could reach inside ourselves, rip out the damaged foundations, throw them out and begin to rebuild. It could truly be a new day everyday!

Isaiah 43:2-3 says "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flames scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Verse 5 continues with, "Fear not, I am with you." How fitting these promises are right now... today.

If you are interested and able to help, you can visit Hands On Nashville and sign up to volunteer and help. If I hear more specifics of what people need, I will post those here too. I know that many are in need of housing as an immediate need, so if you have any leads feel free to post here and I will pass on the information. Or let someone know at Hands On Nashville.



We have been watching a duck's nest across the street. This nest has 20-22 eggs in it! We have been reading about how eggs hatch and how long that process is.




Well this morning I looked out the window and saw little baby ducks running around! They must have just hatched early this morning. I walked the girls over to say "hello" and "welcome" to the babies. Some bright yellow, some a light grey, all little fluff balls full of energy. Today is a new day for these ducks and the mother. Today is a new day for those having to rebuild their homes and lives. Today is a NEW DAY! It's spring. Take some time to spring clean your internal house. Dust off the foundations, clean them up and even rip them out and start over if that's what you need to do. Make this a new day.... a new season.... a new start ..... and create some new beginnings.

1 comments:

Larissa said...

Beautiful post, Carrie. I've been praying too!