The Jewelry Buzz

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Goofy Lu

So, last night I was trying to keep the exhausted mood light (for both Abi and myself), so when Abi wasn't being obedient I tried to turn it into something silly. So that we could both sleep better since it was bedtime. It was more to keep me from flying off the handle - I was POOPED and so out of patience. Abi was testing boundaries, something she does WAY too well, and wouldn't finish her bathroom/ bedtime routine. I said to her, "Come on, Goofy Lu. Let's go." She giggled and said, "Mommy, what's a Goofy Lu?" I answered, "It is someone who is SOOOO silly." Her response? "And sweet..... and wonderful.... and precious.... and beautiful......" I smiled and replied, "Yes. You, my dear, are all of those things." She smiled, giggled some more and finished her routine.


Today I caller her a "punkin."

Abi: "Mommy, what's a punkin?"
Me: "Someone who is sweet."
Abi: "And cute..... and wonderful..... and peaceful..... and beautiful..... and ALL those thing!"
As she smiled, I told her that she was indeed all of those things!

We have had some VERY trying days with Abi. She is 3 1/2 and is really pushing closer to every line to see how much she can get away with. One of the hardest parts of being a parent is discipline and follow-through. Even this morning, after we got home from the mall, I had to put her in her bedroom and close the door until she could stop screaming so that we could communicate. It was about 30 minutes of all out, full blown screaming. Just when I think I am the worst and meanest mom on the planet, out pop reminders that I am also a loving, nurturing and encouraging mother. For Abi to be able to speak all of these wonderful and true adjectives and traits about herself is fabulous! And in recalling those adjectives herself, she is reminded of how sweet and wonderful God has created her to be. So am I. It is hard to see through and past the tantrums, but God has such a sweet way of reminding us that we are indeed doing a good job. That we are encouraging and nurturing. He has such a sweet way of speaking to us.... to me. I am thankful that He speaks to me through my children.

0 comments: